I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is!


Monday, July 9, 2012

Why did God command Abraham to sacrifice his son?


QUESTION:

Why did God command Abraham to sacrifice his son as a burnt offering?


God's command to Abraham to sacrifice his son was a test, and it seems to me the Scripture makes it clear that God never intended for His command to be carried out. God stopped Abraham just in the nick of time. (see Genesis 22:12) God testing us is a very interesting concept. God knows our hearts and everything about us, so what are these "tests" for? Well, tests of faith are not to enlighten God, he already knows it all, so they must be for us. Tests strengthen our character and develop perseverance. (see James 1:2-4) Tests help uncover our real motives, clarify our deep loyalties, eliminate deceit and nurture genuine faith. (see 1 Peter 1:6-7) In Abraham's case, testing showed that he loved God and his relationship with God, more than his own son.

RELEVANT SCRIPTURE:
Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah.  Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."  Genesis 22:2





44

No comments:

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: All products and/or services advertised/promoted on this blog are either owned by myself, or I am an affiliate marketer for. Should you make a purchase I MAY EARN A COMMISSION or receive revenue. Don't let that stop you.