I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is!


Tuesday, January 13, 2009

COME BACK COWBOYS

********************************************************************************

I was born a bit after the Great Depression on August 14, 1943, during World War 2, about 20 months after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, in a little town in northern California named Colusa. It’s in a county by the same name, and located a few miles southwest of Sacramento. I lived there until I was seven or eight years old. Obviously, I don’t recall a lot about those first seven or eight years, but I do have a few memories. I remember walking to the movie theatre on some Saturdays to see a western serial movie. It cost 10 cents to get in, and 10 cents for popcorn. On a good Saturday I got a quarter, and could buy a candy bar or a soda too. Most Saturdays though, I got just the dime it cost to get in. That was OK. After all, we were a country just out of a war, and I was not from a wealthy family. In fact, I did not know it yet, but we were quite financially poor. For the dime we got: News Reel, a cartoon and usually a double feature. For that dime I would be captivated for an hour and a half or two hours by such great cowboys as: Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd), The Cisco Kid & Pancho (Duncan Renaldo & Leo Carrillo), Randolph Scott, Lash LaRue, Smily Burnett and Tex Ritter. They greatly impacted the moral values of an entire generation. When they died, a little bit of America died too. If you haven’t heard of them, do a little research. You will learn something of value. These were real American heros. Why? Because of the common attributes of these legendary cowboys, like:

1. They were never looking for trouble, but when it came, they faced it with courage.
2. They were always on the side of right.
3. They defended good people against bad people.
4. They had high moral standards.
5. They had good manners.
6. They were honest.
7. They spoke their minds and they spoke the truth, regardless of what people thought or "political correctness," which no one had ever heard of back then.
8. They were a beacon of integrity in the wild, wild West.
9. They were respected. When they walked into a saloon
(where they usually drank only sarsaparilla), the place became quiet, and
the bad guys kept their distance.
10. If they got in a gunfight, they made sure they could
outdraw anyone because they did what it took to prepare for the worst. If
in a fist-fight, they could beat anyone.
11. They always won. They always got their man. In victory,
they didn't stay around to take the credit and have the town give them a
parade, they just rode off into the sunset.
12. Cowboys in white hats were always on the side of right, and that was
their might.

Those were the days when there was such a thing as right and wrong, something blurred in our modern world, and denied by many. Those were the days when women were respected and treated as ladies, because they acted like ladies. Now as a mature adult, I still like cowboys. They represented something good -- something pure that America has been missing.

So, I long for the return of the cowboy…

Be blessed,

Wayne

Love all – Trust some – Harm none

www.Capstone-Ministries.org

http://www.curetype2diabetes.info/

http://www.yourfinancingconsultant.com/



Link to me at: http://www.linkedin.com/home
Follow me at: http://twitter.com/wcweeks
.
.

No comments:

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: All products and/or services advertised/promoted on this blog are either owned by myself, or I am an affiliate marketer for. Should you make a purchase I MAY EARN A COMMISSION or receive revenue. Don't let that stop you.