I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is!


Friday, May 5, 2017

My parents told me that I was baptized as an infant. Some of my Christian friends say I need to be baptized again. Why?

The supposed location where John baptized Jesu...
The supposed location where John baptized Jesus Christ East of the River Jordan. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Baptism is one part of your overall commitment to Christ. It is a public proclamation of that commitment. That being so, the person being baptized must be old enough to have made a sincere commitment to Christ himself or herself.  Children can do this at a fairly early age in some cases. I see baptism of infants as the parents committing the child to Christ, and that is OK, but I believe the biblical pattern is for people to be baptized following conversion (see Acts 16:29-34 for one example). Baptism is not necessary for salvation. 
1 Corinthians 1:17 Lets not forget the thief on the cross next to Jesus. He was saved though never baptized. Having said that I want to say baptism is biblical and important. If you were baptized young, and/or are not sure you had given you life to Christ prior to your baptism, just do it again. Jesus considered baptism so important that He did it Himself, and made it part of His instructions in "The Great Commission" (read Matthew 28:16-20)

Related scripture:  Matthew 3:16

Would you like to know more?  Feel free to email me at: wcweeks1@gmail.com

Take a minute and check out my ebooks, all on one page: http://goo.gl/rTpBXb

.


No comments:

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: All products and/or services advertised/promoted on this blog are either owned by myself, or I am an affiliate marketer for. Should you make a purchase I MAY EARN A COMMISSION or receive revenue. Don't let that stop you.