I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is!


Saturday, March 27, 2010

Holy Laughter

The foundation of Christ 1 Corinthians 3:11; p...Image via Wikipedia
.
Question: A friend of mine went to a church service where several people broke out in "holy laughter." Is holy laughter biblical?

Based upon all that I can find in scripture, it is not. When I look at the ministry of Jesus, I don't find a single recorded case of people breaking into uncontrolled laughter. Further, I find none in the ministry of Paul or in the ministries of any of the Apostles.  I don't find a single verse of Scripture that says that when the Holy Spirit comes upon a person he or she breaks out in uncontrollable laughter. I do however find Scripture that indicates this phenomenon is not of the Holy Spirit. Lets start with the one above, Galatians 5:22,23. How do we reconcile uncontrolled laughter with the fruit of self-control? In the holy laughter phenomenon, people laugh uncontrollably even when there is nothing funny to laugh about. That is not self-control! 1 Corinthians 14:40 says "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."  It is hardly fitting or orderly when people laugh uncontrollably in church. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. 1 Corinthians 14:33  No, I don't find anything in Scripture that even remotely resembles holy laughter. Since we are told to test all things against Scripture (1 Thessalonians 5:21)  I must conclude the phenomenon of holy laughter is not biblical.


RELEVANT SCRIPTURE:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22,23


Be blessed,
Wayne
http://www.Capstone-Ministries.org

If you enjoy some of the articles posted here please subscribe to this blog via RSS feeds or email. Send your friends here too, and consider being a follower. You can subscribe and/or become a follower in the left-hand column.


28
.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: All products and/or services advertised/promoted on this blog are either owned by myself, or I am an affiliate marketer for. Should you make a purchase I MAY EARN A COMMISSION or receive revenue. Don't let that stop you.