I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is!


Monday, February 22, 2010

Can Christians Play Cards, See Movies, Go to Dances?

Photo of "Bicycle" brand playing car...Image via Wikipedia
Questions: I have some friends who say it is wrong for Christians to play cards, go to movies, go to dances and stuff like that.  Is that correct?

I do not believe so. The above Scripture, 1 Corinthians 10:23, seems to indicate otherwise. I think studying 1 Corinthians (specifically chapter 8) will give you a lot of insight into this age-old question. While this chapter talks about meat, eating and idols, try replacing those with cards, dances and movies, or anything else for that matter, and in no particular order, and see what message you get. I think we are being told that while what we do is somewhat important, the affect of our actions upon those we come in contact with is far more important (see verse 13). Also: It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. Romans 14:21  So, it appears playing cards, going to movies, going to dances and such activities can be OK, or, under some conditions, not OK. You might find it helpful to apply the test of 1 Corinthians 10:31,32 to any questionable activity. I think the answer will become apparent.

Relevant Scripture
"Everything is permissible" -- but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible" -- but not everything is constructive. 1 Corinthians 10:23

Be blessed,
Wayne
http://www.Capstone-Ministries.org

If you enjoy some of the articles posted here please subscribe to this blog via RSS feeds or email. Send your friends here too, and consider being a follower. You can subscribe and/or become a follower in the left-hand column.

25




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE: All products and/or services advertised/promoted on this blog are either owned by myself, or I am an affiliate marketer for. Should you make a purchase I MAY EARN A COMMISSION or receive revenue. Don't let that stop you.